Its all Happening
- events calendar
Please use the calendar to view the latest events, you can refine between Town Meetings and Town Events
Councillor Andrew Selous
Andrew was born in 1962 and married Harriet in 1993 and they have three girls. They live in the South West Bedfordshire constituency in Studham near to Whipsnade Zoo.
Andrew is Patron of Leighton-Linslade Homeless Service and Patron of Homestart Central Bedfordshire. He was a Territorial Army officer for twelve years and served in Germany, Cyprus, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United States of America.
Andrew qualified as a chartered insurer and worked as a reinsurance underwriter before being elected to Parliament. His firm helped many of the world’s poorest communities recover from natural disasters.
Andrew supports local homeless charities by taking part in sponsored sleep-outs. Andrew is Patron of SIFT a development charity working with people in extreme poverty in Nicaragua. Andrew is also Patron of Reclaim Life in Leighton Buzzard.
Andrew Selous’ Experience:
- Elected to Parliament for South West Bedfordshire in 2001, he served on the Work and Pensions select committee for the whole of that Parliament.
- In 2004 he was appointed an opposition whip
- In 2006 he was appointed a shadow work and pensions minister.
- In 2010 he was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to The Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.
- In 2014 Andrew was appointed Minister for prisons and probation as Parliamentary under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice. He left the post in July 2016.
- In November 2016 he was elected to serve on the Health Select Committee.
- In August 2017 he was made the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to South Africa.
- In January 2019 he was asked by the then Secretary of State for Defence to undertake an independent report on support for Armed Forces families this will be published shortly.
- In January 2020 he was appointed Second Church Estates Commissioner
He has also been made a Relate Ambassador.
Click here to go back to the councillors page.